Select Page

Thinking about starting a Cottage Food business?  One of the requirements is to receive a food handler’s license.  You can do this through several online services by reading through generic food safety material and then taking a test.  This meets the requirement, but it doesn’t give you any of the “why’s” around the food safety protocols nor does it allow you to ask any questions of qualified agents working with the Colorado specific act.  The course also goes over labelling requirements, which you will not get online, and gives you lots of resources as you start your business.

We highly recommend you invest a few extra dollars and four hours of your time to attend an in-person food safety class put on by CSU Extension agents who are tasked by the state to represent the Cottage Foods Act.  There are several coming up in Northern Colorado, so take advantage of the session near you.